Where to Camp in Taupo
Camping in Taupo.
With skydives, hot pools, boating, kayaking, bungy jumping, mountain biking, hiking, jet boating and more, no wonder you are looking for ways to save money in Taupo. Camping in Taupo is a great way to cut down the costs of accommodation with a variety of camping options to choose from. Find out where to camp in Taupo below!
Taupo has three types of camping accommodation: holiday parks, park over properties (POP) and freedom camping. As always, self-contained campervans are open to a lot more options when freedom camping in Taupo. That’s not to say that non-self-contained vehicles and tents have nowhere to go. With the likes of Reid’s Farm for freedom camping and five nearby holiday parks with all the essential facilities, non-self-contained campers have plenty of places to camp in Taupo.
For more budget accommodation options in Taupo, be sure to check out our Accommodation Guide to Taupo.
HOLIDAY PARKS AND CAMPSITES IN Taupo
There are three different types of campsites in Taupo: holiday parks, park over properties (POP), and free campsites/freedom camping. Here are the main differences:
Holiday parks in Taupo have a range of facilities of a high standard (and most likely some thermal pools). Unsurprisingly, this comes at a higher price. They also offer a number of accommodation types, but campers can always rely on holiday parks to have powered sites to plug up your campervan and tent sites (providing there is availability). For more on what to expect from a holiday park, check out Accommodation Guide to Holiday Parks in New Zealand
Park Over Property (POP)
A POP is private property that is open to campervans to park overnight. They usually have no facilities, so, for this reason, you can only park up with a self-contained vehicle.
Freedom Camping in Taupo
There is a great choice of freedom camping spots for those with a self-contained vehicle in Taupo. Self-contained vehicles can park up in the city centre’s designated areas listed below for a maximum of two nights, while the surrounding freedom camping areas managed by the Department of Conservation have a limit of four nights. Reid’s Farm is open to all types of vehicles and tents.
Holiday Parks in Taupo
- Taupo DeBretts, Hilltop – NZ$16-$27 per person for a tent/powered site
- Lake Taupo Top 10 Holiday Park, Tauhara – NZ$48-$68 for two people in a tent/powered site
- All Seasons Kiwi Holiday Park, Tauhara – NZ$22-$25 per person for a tent site or NZ$50 for two people in a powered site
- Great Lake Taupo Holiday Park, Acacia Bay – NZ$28 per person for a tent/powered site
- Wairakei Thermal Valley Holiday Park – NZ$17-$18 per person for a tent/powered site
Park over properties (POP) in Taupo
- Spa Hotel, Spa Park – NZ$33 per vehicle for a powered site/non-powered site
Freedom camping in Taupo
Certified self-contained vehicles may camp anywhere in the district for a maximum of three nights/four days on any council-controlled land with the exception of Ferry Road and reserves.
- Reids Farm Recreational Reserve, Rangatira Park (suitable for self-contained, non-self contained vehicles and tents)
- Five Mile Bay, Waitahanui (self-contained only)
- Huka-Aratiatia Dam Car Park (self-contained only)
- Whakaipo Bay Recreation Reserve (self-contained only)
For more information and rule of freedom camping in Taupo, check out 5 Free Camping Spots in Taupo.
More accommodation in Taupo
Most Popular Videos
Motel Accommodation in Whangarei Keep things practical by staying in one of [...]
Luxurious Stays in Whangarei Visiting Whangarei for a special occasion or just [...]
Budget accommodation in Tauranga and Mt Maunganui. Tauranga and Mt Maunganui have […]