Accommodation Guide to Hastings
Where to find cheap accommodation in Hastings.
With it’s Spanish Mission architecture, heaps of biking and cycling opportunities, and plenty of seasonal work opportunities, Hastings is often a backpackers go-to on their gap year. Whether it’s a short trip to conquer the likes of Te Mata Peak or to stay awhile for a picking job, you’re going to need to find cheap accommodation in Hastings.
Hastings is not a huge city, but it is split into different suburbs. We’ve put together a quick list of the suburbs where you are likely to find some cheap accommodation, as well as outlining how far away they are from Hastings’ city centre. This accommodation guide to Hastings is also split into accommodation types, so you can just skip straight to your preferred accommodation style! If you can’t find what you’re looking for in Hastings, be sure to check out its neighbour, Napier, in our Accommodation Guide to Napier.
So find a place to stay in Hastings using our nifty accommodation guide to Hastings!
Which Hastings Suburb to find accommodation?
There is accommodation found all over Hastings. Here’s a quick rundown on what to expect in each Hastings suburb in relation to Hastings’ city centre. For more about Hastings, check out Hawke’s Bay – Guide for Backpackers. For information on the nearby Napier area, check out the Accommodation Guide to Napier.
Note: CBD refers to “Central Business District” i.e. Hastings city centre.
- Hastings Central – Location: city centre, Distance from CBD: you’re in it, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$160, Average hostel night: NZ$22-29.
- Akina – Location: south of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/21min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130, Average hostel night: NZ$30.
- Camberley – Location: northwest of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/34min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130.
- Flaxmere – Location: northwest of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 9min drive/1h30min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$150.
- Frimley – Location: northwest of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 5min drive/33min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$135.
- Mahora – Location: northeast of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/25min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130, Average hostel night: NZ$27.
- Mayfair – Location: east of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/24min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$150.
- Parkvale – Location: southeast of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 5min drive/32min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$145.
- Raureka – Location: southwest of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 2min drive/15min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$130.
- Saint Leonards – Location: north of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 3min drive/12min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$125, Average hostel night: NZ$20-30.
- Stortford Lodge – Location: northwest of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 4min drive/16min walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$140.
- Tomoana – Location: northeast of the city centre, Distance from CBD: 7min drive/1hour walk, Average weekly rent for a room: NZ$125.
Hostels in Hastings
There are 7+ hostels in the city of Hastings, most of which are either within the city centre or in very close walking distance.
During the peak season (summer), the picking season in Hawke’s Bay, and especially for the hostels we mention in 6 Best Backpacker Hostels in Napier and Hastings, we recommend booking a room as far in advance as possible in Hastings.
Expect a night in a Napier hostel to be NZ$20-30 per dorm-room bed. Most hostels in this city offer weekly rates for seasonal workers. You can always keep the cost of living down along with an extended stay by working for accommodation in a Hastings hostel. For tips, have a look at How to Find Work for Accommodation in New Zealand.
Renting a Room in HAstings
Renting a room is common practice in Hastings to keep the price to minimum when staying in Hastings long-term, usually done if you have landed a job in Hastings as part of a working holiday.
Rent prices in Hastings are pretty reasonable. Expect a room to rent in Hastings to be between NZ$125 and NZ$160 per week. That’s a room to yourself in a flatshare or houseshare.
For advice on how to find a room to rent in Hastings, have a look at our 6 Resources to Find a Room to Rent in New Zealand. Renting a room involves a more complicated process than staying in short-term accommodation, so get clued up by reading The Paperwork Process of Renting or Flatting in New Zealand.
Airbnb in Hastings
Stay with a local Hastings-dweller! Airbnb, the online network of people’s “spare rooms” available for accommodation, is relatively popular in Hastings. You can find AirBnB rooms mostly in Mahora, Saint Leonards, Tomoana and Mayfair.
However, at an average of NZ$115 per room per night, you’ll struggle to find an Airbnb room in Hastings at a backpacker price. There are limited NZ$15-42 rooms in Saint Leonards, Raureka, Akina and Mahora. We’ll help you toward your first Airbnb stay with this FREE NZ$50 credit.
Consider using Airbnb for an alternative experience to hostels by spending time with locals, plus, they may just be located in more convenient suburbs for your needs.
For more information on Airbnb, check out Everything You Need to Know About Airbnb in New Zealand and 10 Tips to Make the Most of Airbnb in New Zealand.
Campgrounds and Holiday Parks in Hastings
There are limited options when it comes to camping in Hastings city. There is one commercial holiday park for campervans and tents, and one freedom camping car park for certified self-contained vehicles.
Hastings Top 10 Holiday Park in Parkvale has powered sites at NZ$40-50 for two people and tent sites for NZ$38-46 for two people depending on the season.
Certified self-contained vehicles can freedom camp at Eastbourne Street Carpark in Hastings Central. Maximum stay is two nights and pay & display fees occur outside of the hours of 5pm to 9am. More freedom camping options for self-contained vehicles are outside of the city.
For information about camping, check out Camping in New Zealand and Accommodation Guide to Holiday Parks in New Zealand.
USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT Hastings
Other things you might want to know about Hastings:
Most Popular Videos
Learn about the Maori Haka! Seeing the Haka performed live or even [...]
Who doesn’t like a good waterfall? We don’t know why, but rapids [...]
What makes a car and campervan rental company better than another? Picking […]
Stay with a local in Airbnb rooms in New Zealand! You want […]